8 years ago
Saturday, August 1, 2009
"Happy Anniversary"
This is what Kris said to me today as I sat at the kitchen table working on my sharing time lesson for tomorrow. My initial response was going to be, "I think you've officially lost it honey, we were married in March." But then I realized he was right! It IS our anniversary. Today marks one year of being in California. One year of dental school come and gone. 365 days of growing, learning, fun, and let's be honest, a good deal of tears and feeling homesick as well. I would not trade a single day! This whole crazy journey started 6 years ago with a single conversation while sitting on our bed in our first apartment. Kris was an education major at the time. Dental school had always been an interest but something he wasn't sure he could do. I still remember sitting there with Kris while he told me education just didn't feel right and that he was still interested in dental school. He only had about a year left until he graduated and this new plan would certainly push that back. I recall sitting there thinking all of this over. This new plan was scary. It involved a change in major, a LOT of additional classes to fulfill requirements, money, time and no guarantee at the end of it all. But it felt right. I told him to go for it. I wanted him to be happy and do something he loved. Looking back it amazes me to think that had I been reluctant, or unwilling for him to even try, I'm not sure that he would have. (As wives do we stop to think how important and influential we are?) I don't remember everything about that night, but I do remember that what we talked about was important. I am a big believer that everything happens for a reason. Heavenly Father is very active in our lives (if we let Him be) and for us this was one of those occasions. I may have given my support, but Kris put in the work...and more work.....and a little more. And it paid off. I tell everyone how excited we are to be where we are and doing what we are doing and I hope I never stop. I know that it's because of the many sacrifices we made to get here that we appreciate it a little more! Happy Anniversary indeed.
(plus this new career change comes with lovely accessories!)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


9 comments:
amen. doesn't it seem sometimes the longer the journey to our (or our spouses goal) the more we appreciate it? yay for kris doing something he loves. three cheers!
That's great that you supported him in something that made you nervous. I need to be more like that. I totally agree about wives being so influential. I think if a man has a supportive wife he can do nearly anything. On the flip side, I've wondered what a few men might have been had their wives been less negative....makes me nervous...:)
Ahh, so tender! I know Kris will be a fantastic dentist. Please come back to Utah so we can come to you when you graduate?!
Good luck to you both!
Happy Anniversary! I enjoyed reading your 6 year journey to where you are today!
{Bryce and I saw you on SYTYCD! So fun that you posted about it so we could watch for you! Also, in June we were in CA and visited a few campuses. We were thinking of you guys as we walked around USC. Kind of a different world there! - but such a beautiful campus.}
WOW, a year already?!! that is nuts. i hope this year goes fast for us, as fast as the first year of dental school went for you. congrats you guys....
Gotta love the Loupes! Congratulations!!! Only 3 more to go? Good for you in supporting Kris, they need it big time. I was just thinking about my brother-in-law and his wife. They are in the final 2 years of oral surgery after 4 undergrad, 4 dental, 1 general residency, and 2 of 4 years oral surgery. It requires a lot of lonely nights while the hubby is studying or working away from home and family and yet most of the time when it's over it feels just like when you've reached the peak after a beautiful climb. Breathtakingly wonderful that you've acheived your goals (let's not bring up the paying back loans bit just yet...). Sorry for the superlong post.
That is so great to have the first year behind you! What a fun and great experience!
Happy Anniversary! I still need to come and visit...and soon!
I can't believe it's been a year already. I hope it's gone by just as fast for you. We miss you but we're glad you're happy where you're at. I mean, how could you not be happy with those goggles?
Post a Comment