Monday, June 15, 2009

Just Us Girls

I'm usually outnumbered. 3 guys, 1 girl, that's us. I grew up in a family where the girls outnumbered the guys so I'm still trying to get used to all the baseballs and trucks around my house. Where are the Barbies, My Little Pony and Strawberry Shortcakes??? Then again, if I had little girls it would probably be more like Bratz, Littlest Petshop and Hannah Montana. (Yuck.)

The point is, there's usually a whole lot of "Boy" happening around our house. That's why I was so excited that my mom, sisters and sister-in-law came for a visit. Just the girls! It was heaven. Kris really earned some major points by watching the kids so we could go off and explore on our own. We did the Disneyland thing, shopped at The Grove (Katie was very disappointed not to have run into Katie and Suri while we were there), checked out the Fashion District AND found time for dinner and a chick flick. It was wonderful to hang out with my girls.




I think they were all surprised at how much my boys have changed since last time we were together. One of my favorite family moments was when it was time for Ryan to go to bed. Kris was studying at a friend's house so we invited Grandma to come in and say prayers with us at Ryan's bed. Usually Kris or I will say the prayer and sometimes Ryan will repeat what we say to him, but that night he just took off on his own and my mom and I tried so hard not to laugh the whole way through it. It was just the kind of prayer you would expect a 3 year old to give, it went something like this.

"Heavenly Father, thankful for the water, thankful for the train (both are from The Grove that we had visited that day), thankful for church, thankful for the knee (pointing to his knee).................(long pause).............thankful............for the other knee. In Jesus, Amen."

How sweet is that?! I'm so glad he is thankful for BOTH knees! I'm really enjoying this new phase he is in. I hope the fun continues. I was sad Kris missed it, but it was nice to have my mom there. Ryan misses all of you already!

Thank you for coming out, please come again soon!

*On a side note, I've been listening to past conference talks and when I heard Elder M. Russell Ballard's talk entitled "Daughters of God" it was exactly what I wanted to say in my last post and more. Please listen to it or read it, it is wonderful.*

2 comments:

Heidi said...

How fun that all the girls were able to come! How are you doing? I'm in the same boat. Growing up with three sisters and now I am outnumbered by men too! It's fun though!

Heather said...

Thanks again Ash for hosting....it was a blast!!

Love ya-