Thursday, August 25, 2011

First Day of School!

I can NOT believe this day has come. Ryan is officially in kindergarten!
(Or "kindengarten" as he would say.)

I signed him up for afternoon class because, honestly, why not give myself one more year to sleep in?! He strapped on his Batman backpack and off we went. For one year, that's how long Kris has left in dental school, Ryan will be an Arroyo Vista Wild Cat. This is obviously not a Wild Cat, but just a fun figure that resides in the front office. Ryan requested a picture next to it.

He hung up his backpack, found his desk and got to work on his very first assignment which was a poem about his first day of school. Parents were allowed to stay for a half hour and help their kinders transition. At the end of our time Ryan asked, "Now what Mom, do we get to go play?"

Hmmm. Not quite.

"Okay Mom, get out of here!"
I asked for a big hug, told him I loved him and out I went. I didn't even cry, which I fully expected to do. He has a way with my heartstrings, that's for sure. We are both entering a new phase. No more carefree days of going wherever, whenever and especially no more "let's be lazy and not even leave the house" days. It made me grateful that kindergarten is only half day. This may sound pathetic, but THIS mom needs a year to adjust to our new lifestyle. I am excited though, change is good. I've already made plans and set goals as a result and I'm looking forward to working on them. Most importantly, he is excited about this change and loves the idea of school.
Let's see if I can keep that momentum for the next 13 years!

2 comments:

Lori said...

how fun. it goes by so fast, doesn't it?

Deamers said...

Big boy! p.s I think the "fun figure" he is standing next to is a wild thing, you know from the book? maybe not. Also Reese I swear has not put that fan down once. And We've had Hadley all day, and she had to have hers, because Reese had hers. I'll have Reese call you, but anyway they were a hit. Rylee keeps chewing on her "chiny" babies.