Sunday, April 6, 2008

Terrible Two's and the Green Eyed Monster

A jealous 2 year old is a scary thing! I'm telling everyone with a sweet little baby to watch out as that sweet little baby grows into a terrible two year old! Yikes! Things are a little rough right now as Ryan gets used to his new little brother. I'm trying to get in as much cuddle time with Ethan as I can because I know how fast they grow. I love the newborn phase when they are no more than a little ball on your shoulder. Well, Ryan is feeling a little left out. And boy is he ACTING out!

Offense #1:

The other day I went with my mom and sisters to the store where I parked in a gravel parking lot. As we were leaving Ryan picked up the biggest rock he could find and proceeded to look at me, look at our new van (yes, I'm now a minivan mom, but that's a whole other post!) and as I was warning him not to throw the rock he threw it as hard as he could at my van! I have to admit that the boy has good aim because he hit his intended target. I was just a little mad.

Offense #2:

Later that same day we were all hanging out at my mom's house. Her house is a little crazy these days when we are all there because she now has 5 grand kids. A 2 year old (Ryan), a one year old (Reese), the twins who are only 3 months and Ethan who is 2 weeks. All the adults in the room were busy with one of the three babies so when Ryan decided to body slam his cousin Reese to the ground none of us were within reach to prevent it. Luckily Reese wasn't hurt and Ryan did apologize and give her loves but I could not believe he did that! Now I was really mad! It was then that I realized that maybe he was having a harder time with the new baby than I previously thought.

After having a talk with Ryan about why we don't throw rocks OR our cousins around I made a promise to myself to give him lots of "mom and me time" while Ethan is snoozing. And just to prove he's not a little monster ALL the time here are a few sweet pictures of him loving his new little brother.



7 comments:

Erin said...

I feel your pain :) We went through this with our 3 year old when we brought a new baby home. It gets better!! Your boys are adorable!

I added your to my bloggin buddies list. Hope that's ok :)

Heidi said...

Ethan is so cute! I'm hoping we avoid all of that since our boys have never been an only child.

Kristina said...

Hi. I saw your blog from Erins an wanted to help. I feel for you we went through the same thing with my two boys and something someone told me was that to take 15 a day and hold your 2 year old like a baby, talk to him, feed him a bottle or whatever drinks out of. They see moms holding baby and cuddling them and have a hard time adjusting. IT WORKED wonders for us and even now that Brock is almost 3 1/2 and Zack 10 months it still does wonders on those days of rock throwing and craziness.
check out our blog at olsen4.blogspot.com -oh this is kristina(bastow)olsen we went to HS together. an your boys are adorable. good luck....

Anonymous said...

We had some of the same problems with our older children when another sibling was added to the mix. Often when I would sit down with the baby, I would have the older sibling get a book. That way, they didn't resent me with the baby because they were included too. My boys also became really great talkers, learned how to sit still, and didn't make messes when I couldn't get up to see what they were doing; all because of a few books a day! Good Luck
Ethan is really cute! His side profile reminds me of Kris when he was a baby. I'm glad to see that at least one of the cousins will have dark hair.
Sounds like Ryans next present should be a mitt and sign-ups for T-ball :). We love you guys!

Josh and Liz said...

Oh Ashley, the frustration is shared by all. Nothing is worse than seeing the little boy who never really disobeyed do everything you tell him not to. And then 2 seconds later say "I give you a kiss". I think age is part of it too, and also you just are spending less time right by him guiding him through stuff so suddenly he can get into things that he wouldn't have got two steps in before. Hang on to the good times and keep up the good work. It's all normal!

Delia D'Nell said...

Ash,

I love the top picture of Ryan. He looks so adorably mischievous! I bet he is going to be a joker. Ethan is adorable and I need to come and snuggle with him soon. How about really soon...I will email you.

Goldies said...

Well Hello, yes we should go walking with all the boys one of these days! It would be fun to walk with someone who can hold a conversation rather than gibberish. By the way that top picture of Ryan with his little smerk is so funny, he's up to something. Good luck with those two...