Monday, April 14, 2008

Remembering


The last couple of days Kris and I have been thinking about his oldest brother Jeff who passed away 3 years ago today. Although I didn't get to know Jeff very well before his passing I have heard many stories about him from Kris and his parents. He was a very loving and sensitive person with a great sense of humor. Kris often tells me of the many pranks that Jeff played on him when they were kids! While we miss him we are comforted with the knowledge that we will be with him again someday. What a gift this knowledge is!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I always loved it when we would go on trips anywhere, because Jeff and I became best friends. We had great adventures together: Lagoon, yelling in our own protest against the ERA convention in SLC, time at both grandparents homes, ski swap every Halloween, and the list goes on.
He was a great fisherman, and taught me a lot about fishing in the river, how to think like a fish. When Jeff first died, I was sad that my boys wouldn't be able to learn from him, but now I realize that they still will, it just will be through me. I think part of the reason we as your younger children did not have many inhibitions is because we learned how to try new things and look at them as an adventure because Jeff, as the oldest, looked at them that way and set the example.
When we introduced Jeff to Gracie, he promised her that he would always watch over her, and that he would do everything in his power to help her in any way he could. I think that promise goes to each of us, and I am grateful that I feel Jeff with me many times as I go through my days. I love Jeff as I also love all of you, my family. With love and happy memories of Jeff, Emily

Anonymous said...

One of my favorite memories with Jeff was a few years ago when coming home for Christmas. I stopped in Missoula and picked up Jeff in my truck and we headed through Montana, Idaho, and Washington. It was nice visiting and catching up, but the best part was when I put in my collection of Beatles songs and we both sang for hours at the top of our lungs, together. For those few hours we stood together on common, familiar ground and had a lot of fun. Jeff was always so passionate about the things that he loved and family was so exception. I love Jeff and am so thankful for the things that he taught me.

John

Anonymous said...

As I think about all the great memories that I have of Jeff they all seem to have one thing in common - the outdoors! Jeff seemed to find fun and beauty, beyond the average person, when surrounded by mother nature. I feel fortunate that he was able to distill some of that love into me.

One of my favorite times with Jeff was when I went to track camp in Seely Lake, MT. Sure, the camp was fun but during that experience I had the opportunity of spending a few days with Jeff, Julie, and their two dogs. On one of the days we went to the river and spent the whole day swimming and playing with the dogs. We had so much fun and Jeff, of course, had a rope swing that went out over the water. I remember the water was so cold but that didn't seem to matter to Jeff because he was having to much fun to notice. I love Jeff so much and am grateful that he taught me to let go and just have fun while there is still fun to be had.

Kris

Ashley said...

The first time I met Jeff I spent the Christmas holiday with Kris' family the year we got engaged. Jeff came with Angie and one night after coming back from a walk Jeff told us how they had come across a poem written on the side of an old building. He said the poem was about the beauty that can be found on a winter walk and how that's exactly what they had been doing.

I was so impressed with his ability to stop and enjoy moments as they came. I need to be more like that and take time to enjoy life's little moments.